To Be or Not To Be

To Be or Not To Be

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

WEEK TWO: WHAT IF?

IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON A DESERTED ISLAND AND COULD ONLY HAVE ONE FILM WITH YOU (AND YOU PRESUMABLY HAD THE TECHNOLOGY TO VIEW THE FILM), WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

23 comments:

  1. If I was stuck on an island, I would want a movie with me that I could keep watching without getting sick of it. For this reason, I would want The Shawshank Redemption with me because it is a movie that I can keep watching over and over. Every time I watch Shawshank it never gets old to me. It truly is one of the greatest movies of all time. I've never met someone who didnt like it. And also its a long movie so it would keep me entertained for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bring The Mask. It is funny, entertaining, and upbeat. Jim Carrey is my favorite comedic actor. It has a great soundtrack and I've probably seen it over 50 times and still love it. Also, Cameron Diaz is drop dead gorgeous in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely bring The Dark Night. This is one of my top 5 favorite movies. A fantastic cast, an amazing director and a well written screenplay. I've probably seen this movie 10,000 times and never get tired of it.
    Good question!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a tough question, but I have always loved the old mobster/gangster movies. They were instant classics full of excitement, great acting, and amazing story lines. These movies will never get old to me no matter how many times I watch them. Some of my favorites of these kinds of movies include The Departed, The Godfather, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, and City of God. However, my top two favorite movies of all time have to be Goodfellas and Casino. It would be a complete toss up to choose between the two of these legendary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone! It is I, Carlos Martinez. Now this is indeed a tough question. If it would have been what my favorite TV show was, then I would have told you without hesitation that it's Beverly Hills, 90210. However, that's not the case here. I have too many favorite movies to list just one, but I shall share just one out of the many: Grease. Yes, it's very overrated, but every time I stumble upon it on ABC Family I can't help but to watch it from beginning to end. The songs are fun, the plot is easy to follow and it just puts me in a good mood. My favorite scene is definitely when they're at their high school dance. So with that being said, I will end it on this final note:

    "'Cause Grease is the word, is the word, is the word..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'American Beauty' hands down. Because it has the most fantastically crafted script. It is witty, clever, suprising and very thought provoking.I could watch this moving over and over again just to cringe and laugh through the awkward family dinner scenes and cry during the sad moments between the father and son who live next door. This movie is BRILLIANT!
    Jacqueline Clarke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very tempted to go with The Godfather as it's the greatest film of all time, in my opinion, but the question is essentially "What movie could you watch over and over?", and for me that movie has to be Batman (1989). Whether it's the nostalgic value of my youth, Jack Nicholson's classic turn as the Joker, or the fully encompassing world, Gotham City, Tim Burton created, I consider this film to be my favorite and deserves repeated viewings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was stuck on deserted island I would definitely take 'All About Eve.' It has an amazing cast lead by Bette Davis all the way down to Marilyn Monroe. Every time I watch the film I realize new facets and I just never seem to get tired of it. I love that the entire story is in the interactions, I think that it is such a true illustration of the human condition. But, the films greatest asset is the dialogue. It has some of the best lines of any film.
    -Danielle Furneaux

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had to choose one film it would probably be 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest'. Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors and he is great as the eccentric Randle P. McMurphy. This movie has a little bit of everything and it just makes me feel good every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can anyone choose just one? Anyway, I'd bring Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It's sad, it's funny, it's lively, I can't imagine ever getting sick of it. It's like a really well made music video.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would bring Cast Away. Just kidding. A comedy would be necessary to keep my spirits up. I hate to sound like an annoying 7th grade girl, but I'd bring Mean Girls. Tina Fey's script is incredibly witty. There are a lot of subtle and quirky jokes that have made me laugh every single time I've heard them since I first saw the movie 8 years ago, so I trust that I would continue to be amused by them if I were stranded on a deserted island.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I had to watch one movie for the rest of my life it would have to be Aliens. It is in my opinion the best action movie ever made, not only because the action is top-notch courtesy of James Cameron, but because the story and the characters have a surprising amount of depth to them. The action however is where the movie truly shines, since the tension and the thrills don't stop until the end of the movie. I could honestly watch this movie forever and never get sick of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I had to bring one movie I would probably bring the movie Now and Then. It was my favorite movie growing up, so I'm sure it would be a comfort to have something familiar on the island. And I could watch that movie over and over without getting bored, I've already seen it a ton of times anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I had to bring one movie with me to that dead island, I would probably bring the movie Pink Floyd The Wall. That was because that movie could brought me to an other world, into the world full of psychedelic. So if I could stay on the island for a while, I could had plenty time to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although the film I'm about to mention would send me off the deep end if seen over and over while stranded on an island, I'd choose Mary Harron's American Psycho. Not because it's my favorite film by any means, but because I'm smitten by Christian Bale's brilliance. This film reeks of dark humor and despite it's eerie tone I find the film purely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a challenging question to answer. A part of me wants to choose a movie that I have never seen before so I will be entertained the first time I see the film. Using this philosophy there is a chance I may not like the movie I choose.There are so many great options, but given the circumstance I would prefer a film with happy,sad,action,and comedic scenes therefore I am choosing Forrest Gump.

    ReplyDelete
  17. if i were stuck on a desert island, I would bring a movie that nobody would choose, it would be Big Trouble in little China, directed by John Carpenter. Why would i choose such a random movie, that was critically acclaimed, because this movie represents my childhood. i think if i was stuck alone for such a long period of time, i would want a movie that would make me happy, motivated and grounded with reality. Choosing something random or a big blockbuster movie would only distract me for a certain period of time. Its about finding something special to you to help you get through something emotional or difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is tough, but I would have to pick my favorite movie, because I think I'd be content with watching it anytime the craving for a film struck me. It's not necessarily the most technically impressive, or the most critically acclaimed, but it's highly entertaining and I enjoy it tremendously. "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" is a crime mystery comedy starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Val Kilmer as a petty-thief-turned-actor and a private detective, respectively. Set in the glitz-and-glamor of modern-day Hollywood, it's one of those movies that likes to poke fun at itself and its industry. The script (by Shane Black, also the film's director) is one of the funniest I've come across, and the performances are pretty much perfect. I laugh more every time I watch it.

    Here's the trailer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ekNtkhLjs
    And a funny clip!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHkSDJmSgqo
    (Can you tell I love this movie?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jaws

    Simply my favorite movie of all time...I watch it when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm sick, on holidays. It can always put me in a favorable mindset. I love everything about the film's story, cinematography, acting, directing. It is my perfect movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I was stranded on a desert island, I would probably bring Memento with me.
    I truly love the whole construction of this movie. Christopher Nolan shows us how a person with amnesia sees the world in an innovative way which amazes me. I have seen it about 4 times and each time I feel like I discover new things, from the sounds, to the way Nolan makes the transitions between the different parts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only watch one film for the rest of my life, I think I would definitely pick Carlos Saura's Buñuel and King Solomon's Table. It is one of the best, most enjoyable films I have ever seen and I think it would really help with the hole "stuck on an island" bit. The film is so great to me because it has every element possible: surrealism, comedy, drama, even intrigue. Im also a big fan of Saura's cinematic style and I think it would keep me entertained for the rest of my island stuck life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. if i were stuck on a desert island, I would bring a movie that nobody would choose, it would be Big Trouble in little China, directed by John Carpenter. Why would i choose such a random movie, that was critically acclaimed, because this movie represents my childhood. i think if i was stuck alone for such a long period of time, i would want a movie that would make me happy, motivated and grounded with reality. Choosing something random or a big blockbuster movie would only distract me for a certain period of time. Its about finding something special to you to help you get through something emotional or difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would definitely bring Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Similar to what Daniel said, this film reminds me of my childhood, in particular a sense of adventure that I had at the time. The world seemed limitless, and this film was an inspiring demonstration of plunging into the wild unknown. Besides this, the production is absolutely classic, with the interplay between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery's characters hilarious at times and touching at times. This film would keep me entertained and with a positive mindset on a desert island.

    ReplyDelete